I thought I’d share a master list of Pride & Prejudice fan fiction (variations) tropes.
Most historical/regency romance novels have a lot of the same tropes: a forced/arranged marriage, or enemies-to-lovers, or a second chance marriage.
But did you know there are tropes that are specific to Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice variations?
My current WIP (work in progress) “When Summer Never Came” is under the trope where Elizabeth and Darcy are friends; Darcy apologizes immediately for his insult at the Meryton Assembly.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different P&P fan fics out there – which means this unique category has its own set of tropes!
Some readers refuse to finish one of my books because they don’t like the pairing of two of the characters (shhhh, no spoilers!). And that’s fine! I have some tropes that I don’t enjoy reading as well (which I’ve included in the list because others like them).
I also don’t enjoy any books that are sexually explicit – even in marriage – but I know that isn’t the most popular opinion. I try my best to keep the ones I write clean.
I decided to make a list of the most common tropes for Pride & Prejudice variations. Many books I’ve read actually have more than one trope!
- Forced marriage (due to compromise)
- Arranged marriage
- Bennets are secretly wealthy/titled
- Second marriage for Darcy and/or Elizabeth
- Darcy is really impoverished
- Darcy’s family is supportive
- Hunsford proposal is interrupted
- Darcy’s parents still alive
- Anne de Bourgh and/or Georgianna are more prominent
- Elizabeth is a governess or otherwise employed
- Elizabeth and Darcy are in forced proximity
- Someone is kidnapped
- Darcy and Elizabeth fall into lust almost immediately (I don’t enjoy these)
- Elizabeth isn’t really a Bennet
- Bennets have a son
- Mr. Collins marries a Bennet daughter
- Darcy is truly awful (I don’t enjoy these)
- Elizabeth learns about Wickham much earlier
- Elizabeth accepts Darcy’s first proposal
- Meryton assembley insult doesn’t happen or is apologized for immediately
- Natural disasters occur
- LGBTQ+ (I don’t enjoy these)
- Amnesia suffered by Darcy or Elizabeth
- Darcy/Elizabeth don’t end up together (I don’t enjoy these)
- ODC (our dear couple, aka Darcy & Elizabeth) meet as children or prior to the Meryton Assembly
- Darcy immediately apologizes for insult at the Meryton Assembly
Which ones are your favorite to read? Did I miss any on this list?
Feel free to comment below and let me know what you’d like to see a story about!